Transforming Challenging Behaviors Training: The 5 P Process
Cost:$25.00 per person
About this experience
The 5P Process is a framework for helping a child who is exhibiting challenging behaviors, distress and/or tremendous emotional outbursts. When children engage in acts of aggression, destruction, disruption, or dangerous behaviors such as running away or harming themselves, it can be overwhelming, as our job as adults is to protect the children in our care, and to keep them safe and engaged. It can be easy to react strongly when a child has reacted in an explosive or concerning way, and it may be difficult to know exactly what to do in the moment. We view challenging behaviors not simply as problems to be managed and extinguished, but as red flags that indicate a need for social emotional skill development and patient supportive nurturing. The 5P framework was created for just these moments; it is structured to offer a consistent step-wise process to help you to support children of all ages who are struggling with behaviors that result in suffering, harm, or disruption to self, others, and/or the environment. It can not only help guide you and the child through the tough times as they are happening, but also assist you in developing a plan to support the child to learn and build new skills to help them to address the underlying behavioral causes and prevent or mitigate recurrence in the future.
In this course you will learn:
- How to use a challenging behavior as an opportunity to build missing skills in a contextualized and meaningful way
- How to replace punishment with a formal 5-part process for building skills, prosocial behavior and social emotional learning
- How to mindfully and calmly respond to a child exhibiting challenging behaviors
- How to help prevent or reduce occurrence of challenging behaviors
- How to increase engagement and quality of life for children who are struggling with challenging behaviors
The full course includes three 75 minute sessions. The cost for each session is $25.00, and if you register for all three sessions you will receive a free downloadable program accessories. Part 1 (May 15); Part 2 (May 22); Part 3 (May 29).